Sold by the bunch.
Origin: Ontario Local
Offering an earthy, mild onion flavor, the texture of a leek is crunchy when raw and silky when cooked. Leeks are considered to be the sweetest and most mild members of the onion family.
Leeks are a good source of iron, vitamin C and folate. Four ounces of raw leek contains about 75 calories.
To store, refrigerate in a plastic bag up to three days.
- though often interchangeable with onions and garlic, they can require specific preparation and are often highlighted in recipes for their particular flavor
- slowly cook sliced leeks in olive oil and butter until soft, then toss with beans and pasta
- cook with potatoes and vegetable broth, the puree for a classic potato-leek soup
- slow-cook with butter and cream and serve with seafood such as seared scallops
- grill whole or halved leeks and serve as a started or topping for bruschette
- braise in wine and vegetable stalk until very tender, then top with a mustard-based vinaigrette
- add sauteed leeks to quiche, savory tarts or pies
Here some other great local products that are totally bikeable: