-high levels of vitamin B6 and vitamin C
-balances blood sugar
-promotes a feeling of fullness and reduces carbohydrate cravings
-boost nervous system
2 medium sweet potatoes
1 medium red pepper, diced
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 vidalia onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic
3 16 oz cans of black beans
28 oz can of diced tomatoes
2 tsp ground chili powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp oregano
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro, plus some for garnish
Himalayan salt to taste
1/2 avocado per serving
1. Bake the sweet potatoes until just firm.
2. Heat olive oil in a large soup pot. Add onion and sauté over medium heat until the onion is translucent. Add the garlic and continue to sauté until the onion is golden.
3. Add the remaining ingredients except the cilantro and salt. Add ½ cup water, bring to a slow boil, then lower the heat and cover. Simmer gently for 15 minutes.
4. Add the sweet potato dice and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes longer, or until the vegetables are tender.
5. Stir in the cilantro, then season gently with salt. If time allows, let stand off the heat for an hour or two, then heat through as needed. Top each serving with avocado and extra cilantro.